In order to ensure accurate and valid laboratory test results, certain instructions should be followed from the patient side.
• Avoid excessive exercise before the test, drink plenty amount of water to stay hydrated, avoid smoking or severe stress.
• Inform laboratory personnel regarding any medications you take
• Fasting glucose – food intake restricted for 8-10 hours. Glucose tolerance and post-prandial tests require specific instructions from a doctor. Drink water for proper hydration.
• Lipids profile (triglycerides, cholesterol, HDL- High Density Lipoproteins, LDL – Low Density Lipoproteins) require fasting for 12 hours. Drink water for proper hydration.
• Liver and Kidney function tests, Vitamins should be performed on morning fasting conditions.
• Prolactin test – analyses should be performed in the morning, in a fasting condition and following a good sleep and rest.
• Fecal occult blood test: certain foods as beef, pork, raw vegetables cucumber, beet, red grapes and/or medication restrictions are required.
• Urine culture: you may be instructed to avoid certain colored foods and medications, also to collect the urine following strict procedures
• Cortisol: resting before sample collection is required
• PAP test (Pap smear): you may be instructed not to douche or tub bathe for 24 hours before the Pap test. Not to use any vaginal creams or foams for 48 hours prior to the test, also to refrain from sexual intercourse for 24 to 48 hours before the test and do not schedule the test during her menstrual period.
Recommendations are based on the International Federation of Laboratory Science data.